Eight Killed, 20 Injured in Massive Blast Near Delhi’s Red Fort; High Alert Issued Across Major Cities

🚨 Terror Strikes the Capital: Eight dead, 20 injured after a car explosion near Delhi’s Red Fort; nationwide alert issued.

New Delhi | Undercover Editor News
A powerful explosion near Delhi’s historic Red Fort on Monday evening has left at least eight people dead and more than 20 others injured, triggering panic and a massive security response in the national capital.
According to officials, the blast occurred around 7 p.m. near the Red Fort Metro Station when a slow-moving car reportedly exploded at a traffic signal, setting off a chain reaction that damaged nearby vehicles and auto-rickshaws.
Fire department sources said that six cars and three autorickshaws caught fire following the blast. Emergency teams and local police quickly rushed to the scene, cordoning off the area and pushing back crowds that had gathered in the busy market lanes of old Delhi.
Delhi Police Commissioner Satish Golcha confirmed that the explosion appeared to have originated from one vehicle. “An explosion occurred in a vehicle waiting at a red light. The impact damaged several nearby vehicles. The situation is under control, and investigations are underway,” he said.
Authorities have placed Delhi, Mumbai, and Uttar Pradesh on high security alert following the explosion. The Indira Gandhi International Airport and other major installations in the region are also under enhanced surveillance as a precaution.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah said that a comprehensive investigation has been ordered to determine the cause of the explosion.
“We are exploring all possibilities and will conduct a thorough investigation. Every angle will be examined, and the findings will be shared with the public,” Shah stated, adding that he will personally visit the blast site and the hospitals treating the injured.
Videos from the scene showed charred vehicles, shattered glass, and a heavy police presence as bomb squads and forensic teams began collecting evidence. The cause of the explosion—whether accidental or deliberate—is yet to be confirmed.
Independent journalist Amit Baruah, speaking to Al Jazeera, described the area around the Red Fort as “one of the most crowded parts of the city,” making it particularly vulnerable. “It shatters the calm of the capital city,” Baruah said. “Delhi hasn’t seen an incident like this in years.”
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences to the victims’ families.
“Condolences to those who lost their loved ones in the blast in Delhi earlier this evening. May the injured recover at the earliest,” he posted on X (formerly Twitter).
The Red Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of India’s most iconic monuments, attracts thousands of tourists daily. Monday’s incident marks one of the most serious security breaches in Delhi in recent memory.

Undercover Editor

From BMC updates, local area developments, railway station news, and crime reports to the latest in politics, sports, Bollywood, lifestyle, travel, and education, we bring you news that’s relevant, reliable, and real-time

 

Undercover Editor © 2025 – Designed by iCreato